The Defense Department has dropped a policy that barred recruits who had contracted COVID-19 from joining up.
The Pentagon’s under secretary for personnel and readiness said the military was looking at recruits on a case-by-case basis until health professionals come up with recommendations for the department.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Pentagon has rescinded a policy released earlier this month that prevented recruits who had contracted COVID-19 from enlisting or earning a military commission, the Defense Department’s top manpower official told reporters Thursday.
What started as an all-out ban evolved into barring those who had been hospitalized after contracting the virus. And now it’s changed again. Matthew Donovan, defense under secretary for personnel and readiness, said during the press conference that he had canceled that guidance in favor of reverting back to pre-coronavirus accessions standards.See the rest of the story at Business Insider
NOW WATCH: Can you get the coronavirus twice?
China’s aggression during the pandemic has little to do with the coronavirusCoronavirus’ toll on the military reveals the US’s flawed approach to national securityNational Guard coronavirus deployments set to end one day short of mark for retirement, education benefits
Read more: feedproxy.google.com